"The Octagon House" ~ Bernie Rosage Jr. ~ ART-111-103-Art Appreciation ~ Sara Gant, Instructor ~ Final Art Project ~ Spring Semester 2011







4/26/2011

My Personal Connection to the Octagon House.

Bernie Rosage Jr.
at the Octagon House
in Cedar Point, NC
April 2011
I have lived in Kellum Community of Onslow County almost all of my life. As an avid surfer in the 1970's I passed the Octagon House countless times on Highway 24 through Cedar Point on my way to Bogue and some tasty waves! I had heard stories that it was the oldest standing structure in Carteret County and that it was even haunted...probably a story to keep people from trespassing. As long as I can remember the structure stood abandoned with strict orders of "no trespassing". I had never set foot on the property until October of last year when the plein air painting group I belong to organized the location as one of our monthly "paint outs". I was amazed to see this jewel renovated to its full beauty and the grounds perfect fodder for a landscape plein air painter like myself. Since then I have revisited the old house to paint, walk, and simply take in the beauty of the house and location! When it came to a topic (work of art) for my final project for Sara Gant's Art Appreciation class... the Octagon House was an easy choice for me!

Bernie Rosage Jr.

The view of the Octagon House from Highway 24 in Cedar Point.
This was the view I saw for 30 plus years as I drove by!
This was the condition of the Octagon House as I remembered it most of my life.


Me plein air painting at the Octagon House in October of 2010.

The OOPS (Onslow Outdoor Painters Society) gathered at the
Octagon House for a monthly "paint out".

A perfect location for plein air painting!